Friday, October 8, 2010

Ahhh, To Be a Kid Again

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
 Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth." 
 — William W. Purkey

My children do things that are so inspiring. As we were leaving a restaurant today the oldest decided to dance. I'm sure for no one in particular, but herself. This time several people who were on their way to their seats stopped to watch. She continued and seemed very unphased by her captivated audience. When she decided she was done she kindly said excuse me and scurried through the crowd towards the door. Her younger sister, her third biggest cheerleader, clapped her hands off. I remember apologizing for the hold up. An elderly lady said she enjoyed the show and that she didn't mind waiting. After buckling everyone in, but before cranking up the car I got to thinking in an emotional kind of way for several different reasons:
  •  kids can be so fearless - she did pliés, arabesques and twirls as if she was the only one in the room
  •  kids can be so nonjudgemental - she didn't care that one man impatiently broke through the crowd to get to his seat. In fact, she twirled out of his way. And she always speaks or acknowledges random people. Even if it's just to ask them how their day is going. The other day in the dentist's office she noticed a lady staring in our direction. After stating very loudly, "the lady is staring at us", she waved hello and broke the ice for us (two very grown parents). The lady and I chatted the rest of the time we were waiting to be seen.
  • kids can take a cue from no one, but themselves - nobody had to tell her when to begin dancing; she just did because she felt like it
  • kids sometimes can't control their emotions - she danced like the joy in her heart was overflowing and laughed the entire time
  • kids randomly say "I love you" - she did just that, as she does quite often... after I buckled her in. Then the youngest chimed in saying "no crying, Mommy"
When I finish growing up, I hope I'm like her in so many ways. I never thought that I would be so inspired by a 3 year old, but honestly I am. Take a moment to comment below on how a child has inspired or influenced you lately?

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances but they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake but it's worth making

I hope you dance, I hope you dance
- Lee Ann Womack

Disclaimer: Of course, no two children are alike. They all tend to have their own personality. Take notice of your child's spirit starting today.

No comments:

Post a Comment