Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wisdom's Work.... Spicy Handmade Accessories!

I happened upon this Jewelry Artist very soon after joining the Group titled Etsy Artists of Color. Not only are the posts on her blog and Facebook Page sassy and witty, but that same attitude and exuberance seems to exude ever so vibrantly throughout her pieces. The title of this post was taken from her very own words and there really is no other way to explain her line of jewelry and accessories. Her items are very affordable, but, moreso, they are rather unique. Her design aesthetic reads: "Because a woman of pure beauty deserves the accessories to match." You should find this interview quite interesting:
Burgundy Coiled Earrings and Ring Set
http://www.etsy.com/listing/65543139/burgundy-coiled-earrings-and-ring-set
Bold Peridot and Purple Coiled Earrings and Ring Set
http://www.etsy.com/listing/65670225/bold-peridot-and-purple-coiled-earrings
+1 ::: When did you first realize that you were an artist? Actually all my life. I have been heavily into arts & crafts for as long as I can remember.

+2 ::: Could you tell us some more about your pieces? My jewelry/accessories are definitely an extension of my creativity. My pieces are a mixture of my love for culture, color and texture. When I sit down to work, I never know what the end result will be and that's exciting.

+3 ::: What has influenced your work the most and how? My love of colors and creativity continue to push me to design outside of the box. This allows me to constantly raise the bar for myself and challenge my way of thinking everyday.

+4 ::: What other interests do you have? Oh wow, I could be listing things all day....lol! I can only best describe it as an interest/passion for ALL things creative. I enjoy any and everything that allows me to express that, whether it's party planning/decorating, interior designing or craft projects.

+5 ::: What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough in the studio? I take inspiration from everywhere. If I see a pair of boots I love, I may create jewelry based on them. Fashion is a huge motivator b/c jewelry is a huge part of it. Everything doesn't always turn out the way I would like (even if it was perfect in my head and on paper) BUT some of my best work started as an unplanned misstep. Plus, I usually keep the ones that I don't like enough to sell so my jewelry supply benefits alot : ) I also ask God to guide my hands before I begin creating anything.

+6 ::: How do you think you have handled the business side of being an artist? I had to definitely learn to treat my craft as a business. It was very hard to define what I love doing, as an actual business. I actually wrote a blog post on this subject (Business VS Pleasure: What to Do When What you Do is BOTH! at www.wisdomswork.blogspot.com)


+7::: What advice would you give to an artist just starting a business? Research research and just when you think you are done, research some more. In business it is very important to stay on top of the game. Never get too comfortable in what you are doing because someone else is waiting in the shadows with fresh new ideas, ready to take your spotlight. Also, don't be afraid to throw caution to the wind. Take that passion and "Make it do what it do!" : )

Please continue to follow this Jewelry Designer's success. She, also, makes additions to her shop quite frequently. Keep up with her in the following ways:

- Facebook: Wisdom's Work by Donielle Michele

- Twitter: WisdomsWork

- Blog: www.wisdomswork.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment